RE: Radon and Smoking

Kai Kaletsch wrote:

<<Sorry, I'm still hung up on understanding the smoking - radon

relationship. To me, the mechanism is all important. If it is a causal

relationship, one would expect the 0.9 ratio of radon in smoker's houses to

radon in non-smokers houses to become 1.0 once the smoker quits smoking. If

it is some socio-economic effect, the 0.9 ratio would remain as long as the

(ex)smoker remains in his/her house, regardless of current smoking status.>>

If, as Dr. Cohen postulates, the ratio results from smokers (or other

residents) opening their windows for fresh air, the ratio won't necessarily

change after smoking cessation since the habit may be ingrained.

Jack Earley

Radiological Engineer