Re: radon and smoking

In a message dated 2/13/02 9:57:34 AM Mountain Standard Time, bill-field@UIOWA.EDU writes:

In your email below, you did not mean to imply that the radon GAS
concentrations increased did you?  I would expect the aerosols and airborne
radon progeny to increase, but not the radon gas concentrations.

I do not understand this question.   Radon is chemically inert.  If damage to the lung alveoli is from the radon alpha, what difference does it make if it is carried into the lung as a gas on loosely bound to a particle.  Is the difference in the residence time in the lung?  Is the difference that radon progeny would be more likely to stay in the lung if the radon is on a particle?

Ruth Weiner, Ph. D.
ruthweiner@aol.com