Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2002 5:55 PM
Subject: RE: dose limits for members of the public

And if frogs had wings they wouldn't bump their butts. Not everyone has the same response to aspirin, aspartame, arsenic, or asininity either. But we don't have government-prescribed ALARA to them. No one is required to accept occupational dose. It's generally better to operate from what we do know than from what we don't. I know that high levels of arsenic will kill me; I don't have to experience it to know that--I have reasonable inference from those who have done it. I know that low levels of aspirin will help me. Having had no known detriment to aspartame, I ingest it, but if I experienced anecdotal evidence that it were causing me harm, I wouldn't need a scientific study to convince me. A convincing scientific study could, however, cause me to avoid it even lacking personal evidence. I also know that high levels of asininity irritate me, so I minimize my exposure to it. All without the EPA telling me to.

Jack Earley
Radiological Engineer