Early Notification for March ANS Section Mtg in Oak Ridge

The following is early notification of the dinner meeting and

presentation of the Oak Ridge/Knoxville Section of ANS.

Date: Tuesaday, March 12th

Location: Garden Plaza, Oak Ridge

Time: Social at 6:00, Dinner at 6:45, and Speaker at 7:30

Cost: $17.00 per person and $8.50 for students

RSVP to J. G. Ezold at jge@y12.doe.gov

Cold-water Fisheries Benefits of Nuclear Power

Dr. Denis E. Beller

Member of the American Nuclear Society (Public Information Committee)

Member of Trout Unlimited (Vice President-Programs, Southern Nevada

Chapter)

(beller@lanl.gov, 702-895-2023)

Abstract

Energy multiplies human labor, increasing productivity.  It builds and

lights schools, purifies water and sterilizes mail, powers farm

machinery and security systems, drives sewing machines and robot

assemblers, powers life-saving medical procedures and research, and

stores and moves information.  But impacts of our choices for energy

supplies and our ever-increasing need for more electrical power have

been highlighted by recent events in the U.S.  These events included a

natural-gas explosion in New Mexico that eliminated twelve members of

one family, rolling blackouts in California, and the September 2001

terrorist attack on America.  For the sake of safety as well as energy

and economic security, increased electricity supply should come from

diverse sources.  Those sources include coal, oil, natural gas,

hydroelectric, and non-hydro renewables (e.g., wind, solar, and

biomass).  But nuclear energy is the only major sustainable energy

source that can meet the growing demand for generation of clean,

affordable, reliable, environmentally acceptable, safe, and sustainable

electricity.  The impact on our environment and on world economies will

depend on our choices of future energy supplies.

In this presentation Dr. Beller will describe why we must and will build

new nuclear plants in the U.S. and in other nations to supply the

electricity needed for a better future for billions of people.  He will

discuss advantages and drawbacks of many sources of electricity and

compare them to nuclear power.  He will also describe in detail why the

greatest benefit of nuclear power in the U.S. in the past thirty to

forty years has been its impact on the environment, especially

cold-water fisheries.   It produces no acid rain and minimal CO2 and

acid mine runoff, and it doesn't inhibit fish migration or natural water

levels.  Nuclear power plants require minimal land, they release no

mercury, arsenic, or other heavy metals into the environment, and they

produce so little waste that it has been easily and cheaply sequestered

where it is created.  Dr. Beller will detail these environmental

benefits plus summarize hundreds of special projects to protect

endangered species and enhance ecosystems.  He will also reveal current

plans to recover shutdown reactors, to finish uncompleted ones, and to

construct new, advanced nuclear power reactors in the U.S., as well as

global plans to develop the next generation of nuclear plants and waste

reduction systems.

BIO:  Denis E. Beller (Ph.D., Purdue Univ., 1986; M.S.N.E, Air Force

Inst. of Tech., 1981; B.S.Ch.E., Univ. of Colorado, 1976) has a

background in engineering design and analysis and in management of

defense systems.

<snip>

This information can be found on the local section's website

http://www.engr.utk.edu/org/ans/agenda/programs/2002/Beller.

--

Susan L. Gawarecki, Ph.D., Executive Director

Oak Ridge Reservation Local Oversight Committee

We've moved!  Please note our new address:

102 Robertsville Road, Suite B, Oak Ridge, TN 37830