Re: Ecological fallacy and the LNT

Bill and fellow number users,

I agree heartily with professor Fields on this much:
Prediction is uncertain with application of group data to individuals (which we physicians must do constantly)..
Have you heard the story about the statistician who drowned,
 wading a stream that AVERAGED one foot in depth?

"All categories are arbitrary, separated only for convenience."
is one way our problem has been stated.
When we count, especially human beings or their diagnoses, data is always lost because no two individuals (counts) are identical.
Managed medical care has never been successful, largely for this reason.

So, ecologic or group data can only suggest the risk to an individual. Case control studies also have uncertain inference of data appilcability to other persons.

However, we must reject at the p< 0.001 level the null hypothesis, "Chance (or any of hundreds of cofounders, especially smoking) explains the negative association  of home radon samplings of 1 to 5 pCi/l with USA county lung cancer mortality rates (compared with homes having < 0.5 pCi/l"). That data is elegantly and skeptically supplied by B. Cohen.
This null hypothesis rejection is incompatible with the linear, no-threshold theory LNT that produced ALARA.

Furthermore, this rejected null hypothesis and the many animal and human confirmations - like the 4,000 case NSWS case control study - suggest that ionizing radiation in dose of 1-10rem/year is "an essential trace energy" (Cameron) -
like a vitamin.

Howard Long

"Field, R. William" wrote:

Ruth,

Ecologic fallacy is merely an inappropriate conclusion regarding relationships at the individual level based on ecological data (Kelsey et al. 1986).

However, ecologic studies inherently have many weaknesses that lead to an inappropriate conclusion.    For example,

1) in case-control studies nondifferential (or random error) exposure misclassification usually causes bias toward the null.  However, in an ecologic study nondifferential misclassification can drive either sizable under or over estimation of the exposure disease relationship.

2) Using summary measures (like sales tax to represent smoking prevalence) for a county is very inadequate to control for confounders.

3) Some factors that are not confounders at the individual level can be at the ecologic level.  To have any hope of control for confounding at the county level, you need very detailed information on the confounding and exposure variable distributions within a county.  That is why I previously suggested to Dr. Cohen that he try to obtain this information (method suggested by Guthrie).

4) Jim Muckerheide often cites the large numbers of counties in Dr. Cohen's studies.  But, the availability of large numbers does not eliminate biases no matter if you had an infinite number of counties.  Large numbers do help improve the precision (narrow confidence bands), but the large numbers have no effect on reducing biases.  In other words, the finding can be precisely wrong.

5) I have seen no data from Dr. Cohen to show that the risk factors within counties are not correlated.  Unless the risk factors are purely additive (and I see no evidence of that), the dose response findings for the ecologic study will be biased.

Ruth, in your example below, the population is not at all defined so the concept of collective dose and collective risk can not be used.  Collective dose and collective risk can only begin to be considered valid if the exposed population can be well described and quantified.   For example, many groups of workers who may have a higher risk of exposure can be quantified by age, job description, sex, length of employment and a multitude of other factors.  The general (working) group I described above has many more demographic details than is available in ecologic studies.  If you don't have better demographics than are available in a county ecologic study, you likely should not be using the collective dose concept.

Pardon my short answer, but I am swamped with other work related demands right now.

Best Regards, Bill