From: Philippe Duport [mailto:pduport@uottawa.ca]
Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2002 2:39 PM
To: Field, R. William; Muckerheide; rad-sci-l@ans.ep.wisc.edu; radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu
Subject: Re: New paper on beneficial effects of WBI in mice

Here is the Medline abstract:

1: Radiat Res 2002 Mar;157(3):275-280

Elevation of Glutathione Induced by Low-Dose Gamma Rays and its Involvement in Increased Natural Killer Activity.

Kojima S, Ishida H, Takahashi M, Yamaoka K.

Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Tokyo University of Science, Noda-shi, Chiba 278-0022, Japan;; Author to whom correspondence should be addressed at Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Tokyo University of Science, Noda-shi, Chiba 278-0022, Japan; kjma@rs.noda.sut.ac.jp

Kojima, S., Ishida, H., Takahashi, M. and Yamaoka, K. Elevation of Glutathione Induced by Low-Dose Gamma Rays and its Involvement in Increased Natural Killer Activity. Radiat. Res. 157, 275[?]--[?]280 (2002).We examined the relationship between the induction of an increase in the level of glutathione and the elevation of natural killer (NK) activity in mouse splenocytes by a low dose of [gamma] rays. The glutathione levels in mouse splenocytes increased significantly between 2 h and 6 h after whole-body [gamma] irradiation at 0.5 Gy, peaked at 4 h, and then decreased almost to the level before irradiation by 12 h postirradiation. A significant enhancement of NK activity was found in the splenocytes obtained from whole-body-irradiated mice between 4 and 6 h postirradiation. Reduced glutathione (GSH) added exogenously to splenocytes obtained from normal mice enhanced both the total cellular glutathione content and the NK activity in a dose-dependent manner. Other precursors of de novo GSH synthesis, such as cysteine, N-acetylcysteine and oxidized glutathione, also increased the activity. These enhancements were completely blocked by buthionine sulfoximine, an inhibitor of de novo GSH synthesis. We conclude that the induction of endogenous glutathione in living cells immediately after low-dose [gamma] irradiation is at least partially responsible for the appearance of enhanced NK activity.

PMID: 11839089 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

 . . .

Your comments are most welcome.

Regards, Jim Muckerheide