Radon's linear dependency

Jerry,

That's correct, radon exposure and lung cancer are not linearly

related.  The BEIR report showed that relative risks based on cumulative

radon exposure are linear, but with a dependency on age, pack-year rate of

smoking, smoking duration, etc.

Jerry, let me share my view on this.  I am not trying to persuade others to

adopt my view, but kindly ask for patience while I present a very

simplistic example of some of the assumptions I have a hard time

accepting.  This is not meant to be disrespectful in any way to Dr.

Cohen.  I am sure we are in agreement with many issues, but using an

ecologic study to test the LNT does not add up to me.

For example,

Dr. Cohen states he is using his ecologic study to test the validity of the

LNT.  He has previously agreed that an ecologic test should not be used to

determine the risk posed by residential radon exposure since that would be

falling into the trap of the ecologic fallacy.  But, he says he can use his

ecologic test to examine the validity of the LNT.

I can just not get passed some assumptions that have to be accepted to

believe this test adds up to a valid test.  In the form of a simplistic

example, this is in part how I view what Dr. Cohen's test of the LNT does.

For the test of the LNT:

a)  He assumes each person within a county receives the same radon exposure

(collective dose assumption) - (this assumes that short term basement radon

concentrations, not seasonably adjusted and not adjusted to reflect home

occupancy =  radon exposure).

b)  He assumes if the LNT is valid, the counties with higher radon

concentrations should have higher lung cancer mortality rates.

    ff

c) Just some of his assumptions needed to be correct for this test to be

valid include: 1) smoking duration and intensity are the same for everyone;

2) all smokers have the same increased risk of mortality; 3) each person

within a county spends the same amount of time in the home, etc.

Let's just look at two of his assumptions I struggle with - smoking

duration and intensity are the same for each person in a county.  They are

just two of the assumptions you have to buy into if you think this is a

valid test of the LNT.   But, we all know lung cancer risk is very

dependent on pack-year rate (smoking intensity), smoking duration, age

since quit smoking, and many other factors that can not be accounted for in

an ecologic study.  So, I really do not know what is being tested, but in

my opinion, I do not think it is the LNT.  In a very simplistic fashion it

is like testing the validity of the X theory, which states 2 + 3 = 4, and

when you find out that it does not you say, my study testing the validity

of the X theory shows 2 + 3 does not equal  = 4.  Then you challenge others

to explain why 2 + 3 does not equal 4 and you say the X theory must be

wrong since no one can explain why it does not = 4.

Sorry for the over simplistic example, but I am just trying to share one of

the struggles I have with using an ecologic study to test the LNT.

Regards, Bill Field