Re: dose limits for members of the public

Optimal Dose Level (ODL) -acute- was, indeed, 1-9 rads where 34 instead of expected 42.3 breast cancers were found in bomb survivors, for example.

Low dose rate ODL, however, might be many times that.

Taiwan apartments gave up to 600 rem, if I recall Luan correctly.

My patients having radiation oncology get about 10 x the acutely fatal dose, but spread over a couple of dozen daily treatments. If one were to

extrapolate linearly (smile!) -.

If db placebo studies confirm benefit I expect, 10 rem

radiohormesis therapy will have a very comfortable 10 x  safety margin. Compare that with niacin or statin (to reduce cholesterol), where just 2x the

effective dose for one person may make another nauseous (even the same individual at different times, as with flu).

So, I would favor radiation supplement up to 10 rem/year -

1/10 of the symptom producing acute dose.

Howard Long