Re: Radon and Smoking (individual vs aggregate)

On Fri, 15 Feb 2002, Field, R. William wrote:

> Bill Field wrote:  Regarding your reference to BEIR.  Are you interpreting

> their findings as indicating lung cancer risk is linear in radon exposure

> and other factors?

>       Dr. Cohen wrote: There is nothing to interpret; I just use

>       their mathematical expressions. But it is certainly true that

>       the BEIR Reports give a linear relationship between lung cancer

>       and radiation exposure.

>       No, radon exposure and lung cancer are NOT linearly related.

	--If you don't understand that the BEIR Reports use a liinear

relationship between lung cancer and radiation exposure, there is no point

in discussing these matters with you. What do you think the LNT debate is

all about?

>       So, why would average exposure equal average risk for lung

>       cancer (using collective dose and LNT) in an ecologic analysis?

	--This is proven with rigorous mathematics in my 1995 paper,

starting with the BEIR IV formula.