Re: Sunshine hormesis - 'Ecological' Study!? :-)

RADSAFERS:

The generation of vitamin D in the skin is the main known benefit of

exposure to ultraviolet radition (UVR). See, for example, item 15 in the

Executive Summary of a substantial NRPB report:

http://www.nrpb.org/publications/documents_of_nrpb/abstracts/absd13-1.htm

In the main body of this report, the NRPB notes that a few minutes of

daily outdoor exposure to the face, hands and forearms are sufficient to

produce all the vitamin D we need. However, it has also been

acknowledged that people living in the northern latitudes may not get an

adequate outdoor exposure in this fashion during the cold winter

months.

I believe that Dr. Hollick receives some funding from the US tanning

industry for his research work. Also, the industry does like to suggest

that indoor tanning is a viable alternative to natural, outdoor tanning

and can be done year round.

It is tempting, therefore, to (try to) suggest that regular visits to a

local indoor tanning salon offers more than just a cosmetic tan.

The problem, though, is that people disrobe completely in an indoor

facility and expose their whole skin surface, including portions that

are niot normally exposed to sunlight. It would be rather silly to have

only one's face, hands and forearms exposed while lying in a tanning bed

- and paying for it to boot!

This sort of reasoning may have been the stimulus for "full spectrum"

indoor lighting (i.e., the bulbs would also produce some UVR to mimic

the sun's spectrum).  I don't think this idea has got very far, though.

I would like to know if anyone has further information about it.

Eric Cowdrey, M.Sc. (Physics)

Radiation Protection Officer

Department of Medical Physics

CancerCare Manitoba

675 McDermot Avenue

Winnipeg, Manitoba  R3E 0V9

Canada

Tel (204) 787-2166

Fax (204) 775-1684

mailto:Eric.Cowdrey@cancercare.mb.ca

Industrial hygiene in Manitoba: http://aiha.cancercare.mb.ca

Radiology in Manitoba:

http://www.umanitoba.ca/faculties/medicine/radiology

Disclaimer: My statements/opinions do not necessarily represent those

of CancerCare Manitoba

>>> Muckerheide <muckerheide@attbi.com> 02/16/02 05:33PM >>>

Friends,

Note the following conclusions presented at the AAAS 2002 meeting.

Regards, Jim Muckerheide

=======================

Friday, 15 February, 2002, 20:53 GMT

Sunshine 'prevents cancer'

By BBC News Online's Caroline Ryan

A small amount of sunshine can help reduce the risk of breast, colon

and

prostate cancers, according to US scientists.

Sunlight is a key source of vitamin D, and scientists told the

American

Association for the Advancement of Science annual meeting in Boston

the

vitamin plays a crucial role in regulating the production of cells, a

mechanism which is absent in cancer.

The suggestion that we should get out in the sun may at first seem at

odds

with the advice on guarding against the risk of skin, but Professor

Michael

Holick, an endocrinologist from the Boston University School of

Medicine,

stressed that he was advocating moderation, and not denying the

harmful

effects of sunburn.

To get the vitamin D from the sun, but protect against skin cancer, he

suggests Caucasians spend five to 10 minutes in the sun, unprotected,

two to

three times a week. Sun creams should then be used if people spend any

further time in the sun.

Key chemical

People with darker skins need to spend longer in the sun to get the

necessary amount of vitamin D; the pigmentation in their skins blocks

UV

absorption.

The sun gives out ultraviolet (UV) radiation. The benefits come from

the UV

B type.

Professor Holick believes his research could explain why people living

in

colder, northern climates who get less vitamin D from the sun have a

higher

risk of dying from colon, breast and prostate cancers.

He said more people than might be expected were vitamin D deficient.

In

Boston, he estimated 40 to 50% of adults over 50 were vitamin D

deficient.

Professor Holick's team has isolated a key enzyme, or body chemical,

which

is involved in the processing of vitamin D. It was found in the colon.

He

said if the body did not take in enough vitamin D then the enzyme would

not

be activated and the body would not be able to turn the vitamin into a

form

it could use.

The active form of vitamin D prevents colon cells from proliferating

and

prompts them to change into more mature cells which are less capable

of

becoming cancerous.

North and South

The Boston researchers have found the same process occurs in breast,

skin

and prostate cells.

Professor Holick said: "The most beneficial effect of exposure to

sunlight

is vitamin D protection. Moderation is really the answer. We were born

and

evolved in sunlight and so sunlight is probably important for good

health."

Dr William Grant, an independent researcher from Virginia, has examined

the

difference in cancer rates dependent on where people live.

Dr Grant's US work, using data from the Atlas of Cancer Mortality,

found

death rates for breast, colon and ovarian cancers in Boston and New

England

were almost twice as high as they were in the southwest from 1950 to

1994.

He found the same link, with varying increased risk, for 13 cancers

including bladder, kidney, stomach and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.

He estimates there have been 23,000 deaths from cancer per year -

taking the

difference in UV radiation between northern and southern states -

which

could have been prevented if people had had enough vitamin D. He

suggests

this year, the figure could be 30,000.

Based on his US findings, he estimates a quarter of breast cancer

deaths in

the UK are as a result of vitamin D deficiency.

He told BBC News Online: "I believe my research should be considered a

clarion call for more investigation by the health establishment on the

benefits of solar radiation and UVB."

radsafe" (no quote marks) in the body of the e-mail, with no subject

line. You can view the Radsafe archives at

http://www.vanderbilt.edu/radsafe/