Re: dose limits for members of the public

Michael,

Applying a 5 rem limit to the public would not be much different than

current practices.  That is because extensive environmental sampling and

hypothetical dose calculations are already required.  Some of the dose

calculations are conservatively performed for a hypothetical person who

continuosly stays at the site boundary and moves along the site boundary so

as to always be at the location required to receive the highest potential

dose.   In other words this individual would have to be outside on the move

24 hours a day, 365 days a year as the wind shifted.  This person, called

the "maximum individual", would incur the maximum potential dose from direct

exposure (air plus ground plus water), from inhalation, and from ingestion

of water, milk, vegetation, and fish.   He could only eat and drink the

things that had the highest concentrations of radionuclides.  So he would

have to have a team constantly sampling his food and drink to make sure

that he was receiving the highest dose.  Goat's milk today from farm A,

cow's milk from farm B tomorrow.   No food from anywhere distant from the

plant.   Obviously, nobody ever does anything close to that.  But I suppose

a really dedicated person who wanted to get close to the 5 rem limit could

make an attempt.  But that would be tough because the plant would probably

keep the total calculated exposure at less than 25 percent of the allowed

dose and dose drops rapidly with distance from a source.  So a member of the

public would really have to hustle to get even 1 rem if a 5 rem limit

existed.

Since plants are already used to meeting the current low limits, reducing

emissions after establishment of a 5 rem limit would be easy.

 Don Kosloff dkosloff1@msn.com

2910 Main Street Perry OH