Re: News on BNL Deer

Radsafers

*****

 <Cehn@AOL.COM> wrote on Tuesday, February 19, 2002

> Although Green insisted the find posed no risk to humans who came into

contact with the deer, lab officials are concerned for people who hunt in

the area.

> "Eating the deer meat poses a health risk to humans," Green said. "But you

would have to consume almost 64 pounds of it. That's not likely to happen."

> Tested Several Times

> The fawn's carcass was found near the William Floyd Parkway on Jan. 9. The

animal appeared to have been struck by a car.

> After several radiation tests on the deer, lab scientists found it

contained 21 picocuries of radioactive material. A picocurie is a unit used

to measure radioactivity.

******

I also ask "pCi of what?". People who consume game will have "higher",

NOT "high"  whole body Cs-137 than people that don't. I saw good examples of

this when I ran the WBC at Chalk River. We could tell when workers were

eating deer that they got from Northern Ontario and Quebec because it had a

higher Cs-137 concentration from "fallout" than those obtained around the

outsde of the CR

exclusion area.

John R Johnson