BNL Deer

At 03:46 PM 2/19/2002 -0500, Norman Cohen wrote:

>Does this mean that everything at Brookhaven was hunky-dory? You don't

>consider this report...serious?

Personally, I find such articles interesting. These stories typically find

their way to family or friends who are often surprised when I suggest many

nuclear-related installations have such monitoring programs...

At any rate, based on some member's concerns, I thought I'd share some

potential resources to provide additional information.

For example, annual summaries of the Los Alamos environmental surveillance

program (e.g. Report LA-13343-ENV, "Environmental surveillance and

compliance at Los Alamos during 1995") are available through LANL's on-line

library. Among the tables of data are:

"Table 6-16. Radionuclide Concentrations in Muscle and Bone Tissues of Elk

Collected On-Site..."  and "Table 6-17. Total Committed Effective Dose

Equivalent from the Ingestion of Elk Muscle and Bone..." These estimates

make for interesting reading and contain dose estimates for "average" and

"maximum exposed" individuals. All values are below 1.0 mrem/yr.

This latter table notes the dose calculations were based, in part, "on the

total consumption of a 233 kg elk" (per year per 4.5 person family).

Radionuclides in the assay include: H-3, Sr-90, Cs-137, Pu-238, and Pu-239.

One of the groups handling such information can be found here:

http://www.esh.lanl.gov/%7Eesh20/

Best Regards,

Erik

Erik F. Shores