Re: News on BNL Deer

Kai,

I think it would depend on the environmental levels in the previous year for

the fawn.

It would have been more imformative if they would have indicated what muscle

they sampled.  I found that the tongue provided a pretty good reference

muscle in a previous study.

---------------------

137Cs levels in deer following the Three Mile Island accident.

Field RW

Health Phys 1993 Jun;64(6):671-4

White-tailed deer (Odocoileus virgianus) tongues were assayed to assess

whether or not significant widespread 137Cs contamination occurred in the

vicinity of Three Mile Island Nuclear Station as a result of the 1979

accident. White-tailed deer tongues harvested from 10 Pennsylvania counties

more than 88 km away from Three Mile Island had significantly higher 137Cs

levels than deer tongues harvested from counties surrounding the nuclear

plant. The mean deer tongue 137Cs levels found in Pennsylvania white-tailed

deer were lower than 137Cs levels found in deer from other parts of the U.S.

sampled shortly after culmination of major atmospheric nuclear testing.

These findings support the conclusions of previous studies suggesting that

only minimal quantities of 137Cs escaped from the damaged Three Mile Island

plant after the accident.

Regards, Bill