BNL fawn - -where's the beef?

Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 01:36:39 +0100

From: "Franz Schoenhofer" <franz.schoenhofer@CHELLO.AT>

Subject: Re: News on BNL Deer

Here we go again. Somebody writes something about something and "everybody"

on RADSAFE is speculating, interpreting and stating something about

something.

Nobody seems to care for the facts.

Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 15:19:34 EST

From: SAFarberMSPH@CS.COM

Subject: Re: News on BNL Deer -Factors at play?

- --part1_113.cd68bcc.29a40d56_boundary

Radsafe:

Some input from Brookhaven on the units and isotopic measurements would be

of

interest. However, it is most likely the activity measured is Cs-137 and the

units are probably pCi/g. If so the dose consequences are rather small.

Of note:

The variability in sampling residual weapons test fallout in animals around

***************

I agree with Franz and Stuart (and others who have made cogent comments on

this subject).  Without MANY specifics, meaningful discussion of this topic

is fruitless.  As the adage goes:  "Unless you are collecting data, you are

just making conversation."  First, as has been pointed out, mention of pCi

of activity observed by itself is meaningless.  One must ask, "pCi of

WHAT?", pCi per unit of WHAT?"  One can ASSUME what these MIGHT have been,

but we should remember that usually, when we ASSUME things it likely makes

an ASS on U and ME!  My initital instinct was to reply to the first mention

of this post.  I am glad I read more of your replies first.  Which reminds

me of the wisdom of another saying: "Don't just DO something.  Sit there!".

Let's think before we act, or respond without all the important input.  It

seems to me that the reporter either obtained his information from a

questionable source, or that source truly failed to provide the data with

enough information to make it meaningful, especially for a lay audience.

By the way, what is the answer to pCi of WHAT and pCi/unit of WHAT?