Re: News on BNL Deer -Factors at play?

Bill writes:

>Nevertheless, I'll stand by my conclusion, until shown otherwise, that this indicates a serious programmatic failure.

The ingestion ALI for Cs-137 is 4 MBq (yes, MEGABq), this is 110 uCi. - intake of 4 MBq (110 uCi) will give an effective dose of 50 mSv (5 rem) so 21 pCi/g x 64 lbs x 454 g/lb = 610,000 pCi = 0.61 uCi x 5 rem/110 uCi = 0.028 rem = 28 mrem committed dose if someone were to actually choke down 64 lbs of this deer meat with no one else sharing. The same person's dose from background radiation is perhaps 250-400 mrem/year. It seems to me that the "serious programmatic failure" is with God or Mother Nature, or whoever you want to attribute the background radiation to. How could they permit this highly dangerous and clearly unacceptable dose (10 to 15 times higher) year in and year out?

Your microwave oven probably leaks a little microwave radiation. Not as much as the early models, certainly, but it's not zero. Is there any conceivable harm that can come from this small amount of leakage? If not, then was the manufacturer guilty of a "serious programmatic failure" by allowing it? Ozone can kill in high enough concentrations, but is the tiny amount of ozone that might be created from time to time by arcing in electrical wiring of your copy machine a "serious programmatic failure" on the part of the manufacturer?  I just don't see it. Elaborate hand wringing over doses that are essentially in the uncertainty associated with natural background may lead the public to think there's a danger here, but I for one see none. I would happily take ownership of this deer meat, if someone could recommend a good red wine to go with it.

Mike

Think I'll go risk my life and make some photocopies....life on the edge in the big city.

Michael G. Stabin, PhD, CHP
Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Sciences
Department of Radiology and Radiological Sciences
Vanderbilt University
1161 21st Avenue South
Nashville, TN 37232-2675
Phone (615) 343-0068