Re: Where the Deer and LNT-lope play?

In the summer of 1986 I had a fellowship at BNL and lived in the women's dormitory on site (and found that I was a bit long in the tooth for dorm life).  In the evenings, I used to bicycle around the site.  On these rides, I saw quite a number of adult deer of both sexes on site, along with a few fawns, so it seems to me they go on and off the site of their own accord.  They seemed quite tame, because my bicycle didn't startle them.  Moreover, they appear to be much more at risk from the traffic on the Long Island limited access roads than from anything on the BNL site.  The biggest threat to fauna (and flora) is still human activity of any kind.

A two year old deer is definitely not a fawn.

Ruth Weiner, Ph. D.
ruthweiner@aol.com