Western New York HPS meeting

Radsafers:  If you are in the Buffalo, NY area on Friday, March 8,  you are invited to join members of the Western New York Chapter of the HPS for our next meeting.

DATE:        Friday, March 8

LOCATION:   Buffalo State College, 1300 Elmwood Ave, Buffalo NY.  Grover Cleveland Hall, room 418 (Directions provided on request.)

AGENDA
10:00     Arrive, coffee

10:30    John Frazier, HPS President Elect, "Health Physics is about Education"
Dr. Frazier will describe the many programs of the Health Physics Society that pertain to education, including:  academic education,professional/continuing education, public education, and education programs for Congress and Congressional staff in Washington, DC.  He will also describe ways that Society and Chapter members can participate in these educational programs.

11:30  Chapter Business

12:00  Lunch

1:00    Joseph Jablonski, Project Manager, West Valley Nuclear Services, "FRS Decontamination Project". Joe will present and discuss the recent decon activities of a nuclear fuel/high-level waste facility at West Valley.

2:00        Andrew Karam, University of Rochester, "Radiological Homeland Security" and "Radiation Safety without Borders".  Andy will discuss the recent formation of the HPS Committee for Homeland Security, including the topics of public education/risk communication, radioactive material security, medical aspects of radiological terrorism, and suggested actions for health physicists.  (Note – the National HPS is sponsoring a full-day symposium on Homeland Security at the June HPS national meeting in Tampa.)  Andy will also update us on the Radiation Safety without Borders program and our Chapter's involvement (our host nation is Lithuania).

2:30    Regulator's (half) Hour – Update from the NYS Dept of Health

3:00    Adjourn

COST:     $10 (covers coffee and lunch)

RSVP:   PLEASE RSVP TO JOE GRECO, joseph.greco@kodak.com, or 716-588-3324 by Wednesday, March 6.

Joseph M. Greco, CHP