Re: Meeting public demand

In a message dated Fri, 22 Feb 2002  9:11:16 AM Eastern Standard Time, RuthWeiner@AOL.COM writes:

<<Once again, professional anti-nukes and "environmentalists" are being confused with "the public." The real public is, of course, not of one mind on this or any other issue>>

I agree with Ruth (again).  I have frequently witnessed "public meetings" about sites where the most vocal opponents don't live within one hundred miles of the place.  When one talks to the actual residents of the area, they are often quite reasonable, open-minded, and willing to make the effort to understand the real risk issues.

It is inimical to public health to allow a small, vocal minority to drain the limited resources of public health agencies in the way they do.

Barbara L. Hamrick