Re: Meeting public demand

Jerry and Radsafers,

But the thoughtful analysis IS the only real option we have.  In the

bogeyman example (a excellent one for our situation, by the way), logic and

facts really are the only thing we have to offer the child.  We show them

and tell them.  They eventually decide to believe us, or else they continue

living with a scary fantasy.  And even when they decide to believe us, it

may take a while for them to give up their fears.  But that doesn't mean

our efforts are fruitless.

The same goes for our situation.  We provide facts.  We answer truthfully.

We expose the distortions and fabrications for what they are.  There isn't

another course of action, to answer the question below.  The public will

believe us or they won't - it doesn't change how we behave.  If our

policies are eventually based on total lunacy (no, I mean even more than

now), does that justify us being anything but honest?

(Of course, we still have a lot of improving to do in effectively

delivering our message.")

Above all, don't give up.  More of the public believes us than we tend to

think.  It's the decibel level of the anti's and media bias (yes, Virginia,

it really exists) that make it seem otherwise.

Vincent King,

Idaho Falls

Subject:  Re: Meeting public demand

    ...I'm afraid that in public debate, an ounce of passion is worth a

pound of thoughtful analysis.Using logic to persuade a freightened child

that there  is no bogeyman is generally a fruitless exercise. The problem

we need to address is: Given that disassionate, thoughtful analysis is not

viable option, what course of action should be taken?   Jerry