RE: ARTICLE: Fallout likely caused 15,000 deaths

Wes,

The number '3' was used at the time of the 10-year update. The Rusians removed 2 because they were not exposed; and one with low dose exposure was judged to be medical error rather than thyroid cancer-caused. But UNSCEAR decided not to 'zero.'

It's not clear that the thyroid cancer was caused by I-131 ingestion. There's still inadequate correlation, and the doses from the large very short-lived radionuclide inventory (due to the combined effects of the massive reactivity power excursion with the essentially 'instantaneous' ejection of a major fraction of the core to the environment outside the reactor building) and the very aggressive cancers and very short latency compared to knowledge of I-131-induced cancer.

The UNSCEAR 2000 Press Release says:

UNSCEAR FOCUSES ON CHERNOBYL ACCIDENT

IN GENERAL ASSEMBLY REPORT

Issued during the 49th session of UNSCEAR

Vienna, 2 to 11 May 2000

VIENNA. 6 June 2000 (UN Information Service) --The United Nations Scientific Committee on the Effects of Atomic Radiation (UNSCEAR) has just approved its UNSCEAR 2000 Report to the General Assembly. This is a detailed assessment of radiation sources and health effects. Particular emphasis has been given to the evaluation of exposures and health consequences of the Chernobyl accident.

The Chernobyl accident

According to the Committee’s scientific assessments, there have been about 1,800 cases of thyroid cancer in children who were exposed at the time of the accident, and if the current trend continues, there may be more cases during the next decades. Apart from this increase, there is no evidence of a major public health impact attributable to radiation exposure fourteen years after the accident. There is no scientific evidence of increases in overall cancer incidence or mortality or in non-malignant disorders that could be related to radiation exposure. The risk of leukaemia, one of the main concerns owing to its short latency time, does not appear to be elevated, not even among the recovery operation workers. Although those most highly exposed individuals are at an increased risk of radiation-associated effects, the great majority of the population are not likely to experience serious health consequences from radiation from the Chernobyl accident.

See also the full report (on the web - and my previous msgs with the content :-), and the 2001 Kiev meeting update (which included the countries complaining that they needed cash due to Chernobyl effects - like DOE and EPA and their minions :-).

Let me know if you find anything else / different!

Regards, Jim