perception and reality

Unfortunately 'perception is reality' is a very

irrationalist belief that has become recently common

in academic circles, particularly among members of

English, Sociology, etc. departments.  These people

are very critical of just about anything that

scientists do but have little understanding of how

science is done.  They believe that one's beliefs

('perception' of reality) are more important than the

reality.  Their work obscures what's actually going on

in the world.

Very few scientists believe that 'perception is

reality.'  If the naked eye's perception (i.e. opinion

based on only what the naked eye can see) were

reality, then neither bacteria nor ionizing radiation

would _exist._  Imagine that!  [What are RadSafers

doing talking about things that don't exist?]  Think

about it.  If you can't see it with the naked eye,

your perception (opinion) says it doesn't exist.

[using a microscope or detection instrument doesn't

count, because that's not true human perception :-)].

I won't go into the philosophical roots of this

belief, because too much turgid boring language is

involved.  However, 'perception is reality' is the

opposite of empirical (experimental) investigations of

'real things.'  Hopefully, scientists investigate the

'material world' based not on their beliefs

('perception') but on what's actually going on out

there.  [Apologies to Madonna, the 'Material Girl.'].

The roots of science lie in rationalism, or the use of

logic and reasoning to solve problems about the world.

Reality is reality, and scientists try to find out

more about it.  If 'perception is reality,' there is

no need to do science at all, because all that matters

is one's perceptions.

~Ruth 2 aka Ruth Sponsler

http://mail.yahoo.com/