Re: ARTICLE: Fallout likely caused 15,000 deaths

Ruth,
I believe that any line between fear and post-traumatic stress is arbitrary.

However, much can be done about fear. The best is to remove from source, like the work of your friend. Next is logical analysis that one has done everything possible to remove the cause, like the best treatment, anesthesiologist for your hip surgery, etc.
Next is faith in the reassurances of a friend (hopefully like your personal physician) that you are being taken care of and don't need to stay tense and charged with "fight or flight" adrenalin to protect yourself.

At Chernobyl and with dirty bombs, HPs could  be very therapeutic. Like the personal physician, HPs can  remove fear of the unknown, especially when armed, not only with ion chambers, but also with knowledge. Even with N-bombs most not killed by blast or burn actually lived longer and had less cancer -as did nuclear shipyard  workers. You-all are the best, to prevent post traumatic stress syndrome.

Howard Long MD