Reminder: Comment on the Decision Mapping System before March 15.

PLEASE CIRCULATE WIDELY

A unique opportunity to comment on your information needs regarding

Hanford cleanup decisions will end on March 15, 2002. Currently, a

University of Washington research study is evaluating the Decision Mapping

System - a tool that is designed to help people engage in Hanford cleanup

decisions through the Internet. Over 50 people have already participated

in the evaluation - but we hope for even more feedback.

You can participate in this study by taking a tour of the Decision Mapping

System (http://nalu.geog.washington.edu/dms/tour.html) and then filling

out an evaluation questionnaire -

https://catalyst.washington.edu/webtools/webq/survey.cgi?user=cdrew&survey=6

The questionnaire is anonymous - no identifying information (like your

name or email address) will be collected. You may, however, submit contact

information if you would like to receive study updates by email.

The purpose of this questionnaire is to learn more about the information

people need to participate in the decision making process at Hanford. In

other words: What makes a decision "transparent"? Our working definition

of a transparent decision is that we can understand what is being done,

where, and why. Taking part in this study may help you learn more about

transparency and about how decisions are made at Hanford. With your help,

we hope to improve the way the public engages in environmental cleanup

decisions at Hanford and other cleanup facilities around the nation.

Participating in the study will take about 40 minutes. This is a

significant time commitment, but cleaning up Hanford is a very complex

problem. It is important that stakeholders and tribes be able to get

access to the information they need in order to participate in

decision-making processes.

Please begin by taking a 20 minute tour of the Decision Mapping System

(http://nalu.geog.washington.edu/dms/tour.html). The tour appears as a

yellow "frame" at the bottom of your screen. Then, please fill out a

survey (15-25 minutes), which is the final stop on the tour. You may

choose not to answer any of the questions.

The survey will be available through March 15, 2002. Anyone with access to

the Internet may participate in the study - the more people who

participate, the stronger our findings and recommendations will be. Please

feel free to forward this invitation to colleagues, friends and family who

might be interested.

This is a University of Washington research study. It is supported by the

Consortium for Risk Evaluation with Stakeholder Participation (CRESP)

under a grant from the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE Award No.

DE-FG26-00NT40938).

If you have any questions or would like to be kept informed of our

progress, please do not hesitate to contact me. Thank you for

participating!

Sincerely, Christie

Christina H. Drew, Doctoral Candidate

University of Washington, Department of Geography

Consortium for Risk Evaluation with Stakeholder Participation (CRESP)

Box 353550, Seattle, WA 98195

Tel: (206) 616-7413   Fax: (206) 616-4875   Email: cdrew@u.washington.edu

http://students.washington.edu/cdrew