Re: perception and reality

My belief is that most HP's take a sufficient number

of math, physics, and biology courses to be familiar

with the scientific method, and to be familiar with

the concept that a theory is developed by testing

hypotheses, usually mutliple times.

Anyone who takes science classes is introduced to the

fact that some things in the world are beyond the

range of human perception, and that instruments are

needed to observe them.  Certainly HP's fit into that

category, as ionizing radiation is not visible to the

naked eye.  Bacteriologists are another category of

people who study something not visible to the naked

eye.

It is true that each person perceives objective

reality according to their own experiences.  For

example, I probably have different opinions about

music than someone born years before or after I was.

[The '70's had some _great_ music!].

However, the objective nature of "things" is very

important.  Let's take an example to an extreme, using

driving.

If each person's perception is different from the

other's, and objective reality does not exist (as some

of these English Dept. type folks believe), what would

happen on the road?   In the same spot, some people

would see a speed limit of 25 mph and others would see

70 mph.  Some people would see a red light and others

would not see it.  Traffic would be utter chaos, since

the objective reality does not exist according to this

theory.  I would not like to try to be a traffic cop

in this situation, because I would probably get run

over by someone who perceives a speed limit of 90 mph!

Reality is reality, no matter what one's individual

life experiences.  I may have a very different family

and social, cultural, economic etc. background from

the person in front of me at the intersection, but at

the moment the stop light is red, so we both have to

stop, because that is the real world at the moment.

I believe that, since most HP's have had classes where

they study things like instrumentation, as well as the

prerequisite general physics courses, they have a

background in the "scientific method" which is

basically using empirical techniques (experiments) to

test hypotheses and subsequently (after lots of work)

to form theories.  I can't imagine any HP not learning

about how Isaac Newton formed the theory of gravity in

freshman physics.  Although people may have different

life stories, almost all of us _perceive_ that things

(like a pencil) drop to the ground when we let go of

them.  In this case, the perception matches reality

very obviously.  Instrumentation classes teach HP's to

perceive parts of reality that they may not have

perceived before.

To sum up, I would be surprised to find many HP's

believing that 'perception is reality' to any extent.

Where there is a perception, i.e. an opinion that is

not supported by data, it should be corrected.  If

someone believes that pencils fall _up_, they probably

won't do too well in Phy 101.  :-)  :-)

Of course, there are some things in life where there

is not enough data available to form a theory.  These

are areas subject to research.  One's opinions, or

perceptions are just that, until a hypothesis is

tested.  It's irrational to say that one's opinions

are the only thing that matters, especially if the

opinions can be or are subsequently proven wrong by an

experiment.  Some of the people whose philosophy is

'perception is reality' truly believe that opinions

matter more than reality.  This leads to a lot of

problems.

For example, someone might have an 'opinion' that he

or she can obtain a lot of money more quickly and

easily by robbing a bank than by working, and that

this is 'OK' because they say it is.  This is their

perception.  If perception is all that matters ....

guess what, this justifies robbing a bank!!!  [Don't

go out and do this].  Something is clearly wrong.

There are objective laws (not just of physics kind,

but of the cops' n' robbers kind, too) that say that

robbing a bank is _not_ OK, if one is to be a part of

society.  [By the way, a lot of the philosophy types

who believe that 'perception is reality' are moral

relativists.  To them, there is no such thing as right

or wrong, even in really obvious things like the bank

robbery example, since one's opinions, or perceptions,

are the only thing that matters.  This philosophy

leads to a lot of problems].

To sum up this rather rambling train of thought, I

would hope that most HP's, along with engineers and

technicians, electronics folks, nurses, doctors and

others who have a scientific background, believe that

objective, or 'material' reality exists and is subject

to experiment, observation, etc.

To get this a little bit back on topic, I think that

anyone who has the scientific background to be able to

compare background radiation with the levels involved

in an actual or hypothetical incident should be able

to correct mis-perceptions.  If certain members of the

public or journalists or actors 'perceive' 30 mrem to

be _dangerous_, this is a mis-perception that should

be corrected using comparison to natural background

['BERT'] and using what we know from studies of people

exposed to up to 12 BERT [occupational exposures].

This is because 30 mrem is less than 1/10 of natural

background.  30 mrem could be picked up in a couple

weeks skiing up in Colorado, or a few airline flights.

~Ruth 2 aka Ruth Sponsler

 --

http://mail.yahoo.com/