Re: Fallout and PTSD and Intent

"If PTSD is caused by an event where there is no actual physical harm from the agent causing the fear, then the person causing the event is not to blame, unless they are the ones that subsequently drum up the fear.  In the case of TMI, e.g., TMI causes the event, which causes no harm, but the NRC, the State of PA, the media, and the ignorance of the residents effectively create a state of panic.  Who's to blame?

At some point, we, as a society, must accept that there are risks taken for the ultimate benefit of all.  Nothing is 100% safe, ever.  But, how should we parcel risk of being scared of something that doesn't harm us, except for the fear we experience that it might harm us?  That's the question the PTSD from TMI poses."

Barbara,
    It is unlikely that the news media, and government officials who inflamed public fears following the TMI event intended  to cause PTSD. Similarly, drunk drivers don't intend to kill people. Those who yell fire in a crowded theater may believe it to be a harmless prank. Nevertheless, in these cases the behavior is considered criminal. Perhaps a law suit against  irresponsible actions of the news media related to TMI might have some merit.
    BTW, as I recall there was one tabloid publication following TMI  that claimed  the effects of the TMI accident were trivial and should be of no concern. That was the National Inquirer. I guess at the time such "news" was considered sensational.     Jerry