ALARA and "what is safe enough"

> The question should be "What is safe enough  (ie ALARA)?" not "What is

> safe?".

One can not equate ALARA and "what is safe enough". They are not synonymous. In

facility A the ALARA goal need not be the same as facility B or C or D. ALARA was

never deemed to be considered equivalent to what is considered to be a safe level.

Please also note that the NRC (rightly so) removed the prescriptive levels of what

was to be considered ALARA in 10CFR20, as was once proposed.

When we as a profession start to promulgate the concept of ALARA and being safe,

we run the serious mistake of also equating these 2 concepts as being the basis for

litigation claims being judged valid or not. If you are not deemed being ALARA, then

you, by your own definition, are therefore not treating your staff, or fellow workers, as

working in a safe environment.

Please don't equate the 2 concepts. One can determine what is ALARA for their own

facility, knowing what the environment is. One can not deem what is safe. If they can,

I've never met that person. Unless one considers zero to be safe, and there are

those who would state, and have stated, that zero is not safe, that there needs to be

some level of exposure.

Food for thought?

Sandy Perle				Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100

Director, Technical			Extension 2306

ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Service	Fax:(714) 668-3149

ICN Pharmaceuticals, Inc.		E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net

ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  	E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com

Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website: http://sandy-travels.com