Public info, risk perception and fear of nuclear

Public info, risk perception and fear of nuclear.

In the context of public info in normal days and in case of incident,

perhaps a system like the Teleray network in  France would go a long way

towards reassuring the public and putting things in perspective.

The site of the French Office de Protection contre les Rayonnements

Ionisants - OPRI (Office of Protection against Ionizing Radiation) is at

http://www.opri.fr/

If you open the site and go to "controle de la radioacivité'' , you have the

option '' air ambiant'' that gives direct access to a network of on-line 178

gamma monitoring stations in a country smaller than Texas.  In normal days,

data are updated every working day (according to my last info which is a

couple of years old).  In case of incident, data can be updated every hour

or more frequently.   There is an OPRI probe in every "prefecture" (there

are over 90 such territorial units in France) in addition to a station at

every nuclear facility or research center.

It is interesting to compare the reading at the Aiguille du Midi near

Chamonix in the Alps (240 nGy/h on March 8, no nuclear facility nearby) and

at la Hague (84 nGy/h on March 8).  La Hague is a reprocessing plant, which

is a few kilometres away from Flamanville (8 power reactors) and of the

military nuclear harbor of Cherbourg.

In countries like the USA and Canada public, direct access to on-line

probes, would make it easier to defuse alarmist information and to put

ambient dose rates in perspective, whether in normal or accidental

situations.

Philippe Duport

pduport@uottawa.ca