Re: pstd

Michael G. Stabin wrote:

>Yes, I think that ABC/CBS/NBC, Public Citizen and Greenpeace may indeed be

>responsible for much unnecessary PTSD in the population, and they should be

>held accountable for such.

I like your idea, but I think that the causative agent may be too far

in the past to hold them legally accountable.

Ah, if only we could sue anyone in our past for "wrongs." I have this

bully who used to beat me up in the 5th grade who I would REALLY like

to sue. I also have a nun from catholic grade school who comes to

mind. Seems that she could (but the statute of limitations and that

she is dead) face a really hard to answer to challenge for assault.

Perhaps this is why the statute of limitations for these causes of

action was enacted.

Again, I still firmly believe that the media (ABC, CBS, NBC) were not

malicious in the reporting on the TMI as news. The ones who made the

issue a greater problem than was truly present was a combination of

the government and the "experts." By the way, when I say experts I am

speaking both pro and anti nuclear sides. I saw too many technical

folks and engineers trying to communicate with the public at large.

One came from a standpoint of science and engineering and the other

from fear and outrage. Not a good fit for effective communication.

Finally, I agree that the anti-nuclear power groups used and continue

to use TMI as a linchpin in their arguments. Can we reasonably expect

otherwise? Each side uses propaganda (The systematic propagation . .

.  of information reflecting the views and interests of those

advocating a doctrine or cause or material disseminated by the

advocates or opponents of a doctrine or cause). However, both sides

use the word "information" because of the negative connotation that

"propaganda" evokes.

Many of us are going to continue to be advocates FOR nuclear power

and there are others who will advocate the opposite. Lets hope that

the vast (dare I say it?) "silent majority" can make a good and

reasoned decision.

Paul lavely <lavelyp@uclink4.berkeley.edu>