RE: Public info, risk perception and fear of nuclear

I'd like to add information about the Teleray network, which is monitored

from my department.

Today, 157 stations are being operated in France and 22 in overseas French

territories or foreign countries. One is located in New York. The data can

be comsulted on the web at the adress given by Philippe Duport. They are

updated every day.

In France, there are stations near each nuclear site (NPP, reprocessing

plant,military sites,...)

The network is totally independent from the owner of the nuclear site.

The sensitivity of the probes is 10 nGy/h, so that they can even detect a

small rise of radon concentration due to a storm. The range of measurement

is 10 nGy/h-10 Gy/h.

In normal days, a mean value of the dose rate is calculated every hour and

the stations are called once a day to obtain these datas.

This operating mode can be changed if needed.

What is more, if an incident occurs and triggers an alarm in one station,

this station automatically send its data to Le Vesinet, where the control

room is located, and mean values are calculated and sent every 5 minutes.

If you want more information about this network, contact me privately.

Nicolas Brisson

Protection contre les Rayonnements Ionisants

I.R.S.N.

31, rue de l'Ecluse

78110 Le Vésinet

FRANCE

tel: 00 33 (0)1-30-15-37-56

perspective.

> The site of the French Office de Protection contre les Rayonnements

> Ionisants - OPRI (Office of Protection against Ionizing Radiation) is at

> http://www.opri.fr/

> If you open the site and go to "controle de la radioacivité'' , you have

the

> option '' air ambiant'' that gives direct access to a network of on-line

178

> gamma monitoring stations in a country smaller than Texas.

> In normal days, data are updated every working day (according to my last

info

> which is a couple of years old).  In case of incident, data can be

> updated every hour or more frequently.   There is an OPRI probe in every

> "prefecture" (there are over 90 such territorial units in France) in

addition to

> a station at every nuclear facility or research center.

> It is interesting to compare the reading at the Aiguille du Midi near

> Chamonix in the Alps (240 nGy/h on March 8, no nuclear facility nearby)

and

> at la Hague (84 nGy/h on March 8).  La Hague is a reprocessing plant,

which