Re: was Mobile Chernobyl

It's the fission products that cause the problem with spent fuel.  The slightly

enriched uranium is new fuel is not very hazardous.

A few years, ago, a new fuel shipment to Vermont Yankee got hit head on by a

drunk driver going the wrong way on I91, in the middle of downtown Springfield,

MA.  The utility has an interesting video tape of this.  Initially, only the cab

was on fire.  This fire could have been easily extinguished.  Unfortunately, the

emergency response crews followed the 49 CFR 172, Subpart G instructions, which

told them to keep away.  This allowed the fire to engulf the entire shipment.

The fuel was in the GE, "blue boxes," which consist of an outer wooden box which

holds two inner metal boxes, each holding one fuel bundle.  This is a type A

package, NOT designed to survive an accident.  Nevertheless, there was no

release of radioactive material.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Curies forever.

Bill Lipton