D-B Issue

What you had was, in effect, a 4" by 5" square 3/8"

thick stainless steel plate containing 2250 psig of

pressure.  There was/is a hole in the steel vessel

leaving only the S.S. liner exposed.  Now, of course,

the S.S. liner would not be corroded by the boric acid

(at any appreciable rate - all things corode to some

extent) so the corrosion stopped there.

If that hole were much bigger, it would not have held.

My comments about Mr. Hoffman's rant were not to

downplay the seriousness of this finding, but to put

his crazy fantasy of the possible consequences in

line.

I don't suspect that anyone knowledgeable in this

issue would downplay it, Sandy.  For me, at least, I

was responding to Russell's comments because they were

so egregious and factually incorrect.  It's best to

talk about this issue realistically but we all need to

know what some people are going to try and make this

out to be - another excuse to "shut 'em all down."

I am confident that had the RPV burst, no radiation

would have been released since the accident would have

been bound by the DBA.  In any event, safety margins

were reduced which should be unacceptable in anyone's

book.

Would it have been an accident of "biblical

proportions?"  Certainly not, and that was the

original message I was trying to get across.

Tim

http://movies.yahoo.com/