RE: Health Department presentation

> What types of issues should I

address?

Kim:

I suggest the key thing that people need to know is that nearly all the

horror studies they read about--dirty bombs, radwaste, "leakage" etc. are

based on "predictions" of eventual hypothetical cancers and deaths from

radiation levels where NO cancers or deaths have ever been observed.  In

fact, there is a great deal of information that people who live where the

NATURAL background level is higher than that, or medical treatments at

higher levels than those being described as hazardous, are in fact doing

well and, where measured, generally have lower cancer and better longevity

than average.

This fact is conceded even in those reports that end up by saying that we

should still use the LNT until more research is done.

The most important thing we can tell people about radiation is connection

with terrorism is that there are few if any ways that a terrorist could

create a real public health hazard with radioactivity.  If they believe all

the hype that is being circulated on this subject they will panic at any

trivial event and play into the hands of the terrorists.

Ted Rockwell