medical

>If nuclear reactors are all shut down, how do you propose that medically used isotopes be made?

I think the answer from hard line antis is "somewhere else, but we still want the excellent medical care." Italy, for example, has banned all nuclear technologies within its borders, but they of course still have sick people who need to be treated for cancer, so doctors buy their nuclides from overseas at highly inflated costs. I think Norm's position on this is more reasonable, but many antis do argue for banning all thyroid cancer treatment with I-131 (and returning to the days of only surgical intervention, which is far less efficacious, meaning many real human beings will die from recurrent cancer growth), closing ALL reactors, so that radiolabeled antibodies will only be available for purchase from abroad (or will not be used, closing out options for many terminally ill patients), etc.

Mike

Michael G. Stabin, PhD, CHP
Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Sciences
Department of Radiology and Radiological Sciences
Vanderbilt University
1161 21st Avenue South
Nashville, TN 37232-2675
Phone (615) 343-0068