Re: Securing the Energy Future of the US

Mr. Schoenhofer

Your posting is about an article by IEER and NOT BY the American

people. IEER is an international company - including offices in

Heidelberg. How can you extend the views of this international

company to be those of the American people. At least a few of us to

care about the energy needs of the world. It is only a lack of energy

that is causing the lack of water/food/etc. that results in so many

un-needed deaths in the world. With energy you can desalinate water

and with fresh water the desert can bloom. Are you really saying that

the American people really do not care about these issues.

How is your posting appropriate for a group dedicated to radiation

safety? Radsafe is the title of this group. If you wish to expound on

politics or world energy, I can supply you with the names of several

hundred newsgroups and on-line "clubs" that will welcome your

"world-view" opinions or Weltauffassung.

IEER is not a pro-nuclear group and this reference was submitted

related to phasing out nuclear produced power. That is, "Securing the

Energy Future of the US" was a plan by IEER for the US to deal with

not using nuclear power. However, do you believe that Germany took no

action to "secure Germany's energy future" if their nukes are shut

down. Or did you suppose that Germany does no such planning?

Look at a map. While the European countries essentially all share one

continent, the same is not true for the USA. There are essentially

only three countries in the North American continent. The USA and

Canadian power systems are essentially one vast and interconnected

network. I would venture that the idea of the "US power future"

would, by necessity, include Canada. Do you believe that IEER would

be happy to see the US nukes closed and a new series of CANDUs built?

That would seem to defeat the purpose of IEER's ideas.

The IEER paper is not correctly titled. It should have been "The IEER

plan versus the Bush Plan" or "How can North America get enough

energy if nuclear power is phased out." Are you of the opinion that

IEER (whose paper is recommending the phase out of nuclear power in

the US) would write a paper titled "Securing the Energy Future of the

World by closing US nuclear plants?"

Got the clue, it is not the American people that are writing this

paper -- it is IEER. Why not send you comments to them at

http://www.ieer.org and not waste our time with your xenophobic

opinions.

Paul Lavely

Director