Re: West Wing, et. al.

I think there are deep roots in " Salesmanship",    and the way things are presented to the population.
If you consider the successes of the National Rifle Association, vs. the failure of ProNukes,  it is strangely ironic that the NRA has convinced enormous numbers of people  that  guns are largely harmless, despite a lot of evidence to the contrary,  while ProNukes  are generally unable to convince anyone that NPP's are safe, despite very very little evidence of real danger.   Movies portray  Clint, Arnold and Mr. Bond as successful, gun-totin'  heroes while virtually anyone in the nuclear business is framed as a loser/geek/Strangelovian character.   The NRA has done a masterful job of  minimizing their own downside( e.g. dead people...) , while  the ProNuke community can't even seem to get credit for supplying 20% of the US's electric power.    The ProNuke community is badly under-represented in the media, the political world, and poorly understood by the Environmentalists. &n! bsp; There is a very serious need for a credible, informed source of ProNuke information.   We need to go beyond   "Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius" to perhaps a C.Everett Koop or Walter Cronkite level character.    The NRA got  Charleton Heston,  we should learn from their example.
Bob Westerdale

Jerry wrote->
What I find most disturbing about this discussion and others like it is that
it appears that the population is learning about what can be difficult and
nuanced topics from fiction desgined to be entertaining.