Re: Comments on the West Wing episode

In a message dated 4/5/02 3:09:09 PM Mountain Standard Time, Jack_Earley@RL.gov writes:

Okay--I'll say it instead. I accepted one in a million as possible after TMI. 1E-7? Unless you can show me where an equally reliable (i.e., based on valid assumptions) model shows such a probability that has then actually occurred, I'll say it's "impossible."

EPA has generally set a lower limit of 1E-6 as defining "credible" or "possible".  DOE, quite appropriately in my opinion, did not want to get sandbagged by "but 9E-7 is almost the same as 1E-6...." so DOE took 1E-7.  That's all.

Ruth Weiner, Ph. D.
ruthweiner@aol.com