Access to letter - healthy Worker Effect

Jim,  The letter is available free online.  Bill Field

http://www.iop.org/EJ/S/1/NIO935000/K3dFfKElZYXWBrQgZRwcP

g/abstract/0952-4746/22/1/104

LETTER TO THE EDITOR

Healthy worker effect

Dear Sir

Whilst I appreciate the concerns that Barrie Skelcher

may have with regard to the healthy worker effect (HWE),

may I assure him that it is not fundamental to

understanding the risks from radiation exposure. Not

only is the HWE much quoted, it is a much studied and

multifaceted phenomenon in occupational epidemiology. It

is a bias induced by comparing the worker population

with the national population, often resulting in lower

than expected SMRs and/or SRRs, and is not peculiar to

occupational studies of nuclear workers. As these

comparisons are known to be subject to bias, the SMRs

and/or SRRs must be interpreted with caution. The

evidence for a statistical association between health

outcome and exposure arises, however, out of the trend

tests. These tests are `internal', i.e. they are not

dependent on any external population and hence are

unaffected by the HWE.

If Barrie accepts the Popperian philosophy that

hypotheses cannot be proved right but can only be

discredited, then, to cast doubts on the utility of the

linear non-threshold (LNT) hypothesis it is necessary to

show that either the dose response is non-linear at low

doses and/or that there is a threshold below which there

is no dose response. Because radiation-induced diseases

do not leave a `marker' to distinguish them from non-

radiation induced diseases, epidemiological studies are

unlikely to invalidate the LNT hypothesis in the

foreseeable future. Barrie may note that this argument

does not depend on the existence of the HWE. If a study

does not find any detrimental effects on health

resulting from radiation exposure, the HWE cannot

therefore be `wheeled out' to explain this so called

anomaly with the LNT hypothesis. The reasons that some

studies are unable to demonstrate a dose response is

more to do with the power of the study. The power of the

study is dependent on such factors as the number of

participants in the study, the number of years that they

have been followed up for and, of course, the exposures

that the participants have encountered.

Yours faithfully,

Dave McGeoghegan