image quality, was A LNT Experience

My perspective on this is possibly analogous but may

be a bit irrelevant, as I am using light photography

as an analogy to radiography.  I am not a radiologist,

but I have very much enjoyed forays into ordinary 35mm

photography.  One of my fave courses back at UC

Riverside during the 1980's was Photo 101 with Kenda

North, who is now at the University of Texas.

Since the course was taught a number of years ago, we

students were fortunate enough to use manual-set 35 mm

cameras.  Thus, we gained a clear understanding of the

relationship between film speed, exposure time, and

f-stop (amount of light).  I still vastly prefer a

manual 35 mm camera opposed to an automatic.

Unfortunately, because film and developing are

expensive, I have acquired an auto-focus digital

camera.  I am 'OK' with the results, but not as happy

as when I can choose my film speed, f-stop, and

exposure time.

In photography (I believe that this applies to both x-

and light), the 'slower' the film, the finer the grain

will be.  Contrast and subtle shading will show up in

more detail on, for example, ASA (ISO) 100 rather than

ASA (ISO) 400.  The tradeoff is that 'slow' film

requires a large amount of light - either bright sun

or a longer exposure.

Although I am not a radiologist, from my background in

photography, I have a tendency to doubt that the best

diagnostic images are not often also the best esthetic

images, from the standpoint of the esthetics of a

'technical' photographer (think Ansel Adams or even

Robert Mapplethorpe's flower images).  This type of

image is somewhat 'old hat' in today's art scene, but

I am a partisan of exquisite demonstrations of natural

beauty.

Esthetics are a very individual thing.

With social images (such as portraits and prom

pictures), a slightly grainy image may be appreciated

more than a fine-toned high-contrast image.  200 or

400-speed film is often used for portraits, where one

may not want to demonstrate variabilities in

complexion.  ;-)  A 400-speed film will somewhat

obscure things like freckles or those doohickies many

of us had/have as teenagers ;-)].

News and sports photographers usually use 200-400

(600?) speed film so that they can capture action in a

hurry.

However, when one is demonstrating the stark beauty of

a Western landscape, or the perfection of a flower,

50-speed or even 25-speed film is often used.

Professional outdoor photographers often aim for

landscapes (or even closeups using a tripod so that a

30-second or perhaps a 2 minute exposure may be made)

that demonstrate sharp contrast and fine detail.  For

this purpose, a slower film that depends on a

relatively large quantity of photons is used.  The

photographer either shoots in bright sunlight using

f/16 or f/11 or uses a tripod with f/16 or f/11 and a

long exposure time in order to 'snarf up' the large

number of photons he needs to create a delicately

detailed image.

My very rough guesstimate in diagnostics is that the

film speed necessary would be variable depending on

the tissue or organ that is imaged.  There is

inherently much more contrast in an image of a bone

fracture than in a mammogram.  It's my guess that a

faster speed film could be used on a busted tibia than

on an image of organs.

Some improvement in image quality may be had by

choosing the appropriate developer.

However, I would think that there would be many cases

where a  relatively slow speed film would yield a

higher resolution of the image and would show subtle

contrasts between tissues better (e.g. an infection)

than a high-speed film would.  I suspect that very

high-speed film would have problems with 'graininess.'

I'll leave folks with links to a couple of

unfortunately advertising-infested (popup windows) pix

of mine from a few years ago:

http://www.angelfire.com/ms/hwy61/hard.html

http://www.angelfire.com/ms/hwy61/soft.html

~Ruth 2 the 'creative'