Re: Dental radiology; xeroradiography

S. Julian Gibbs wrote:

>The arguments that newer faster dental films produce inferior images

>are based on the same sort of reasoning as the LNT hypothesis.

>Conversely, several well-conducted studies have compared performance

>of D-speed films (the standard since the 1950s) with E-speed, for a

>variety of diagnostic tasks.  All show no significant differences.

>F-speed film is new; studies are under way but not finished.  The

>costs of all three film types are comparable and in most cases

>identical.  Thus there is nothing to lose from use of faster films,.

>. .

Thanks for posting this information. You added an essential element

to this discussion - facts about the film and the quality of the

images. What you posted is what I have heard from dentists - the

image quality is not degraded by the faster films.

May I ask if you are aware of any locality that has a regulatory

mandate for the use of these faster films and their rationale?

  Paul lavely <lavelyp@uclink4.berkeley.edu>