Re: Dental radiology; xeroradiography

Thanks for your comments.  I am not aware of any regulatory

authority that requires high speed film.  However, that means

little.  I do not try to follow such things.

--On Wednesday, April 17, 2002 9:08 PM -0700 Paul lavely

<lavelyp@uclink4.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> S. Julian Gibbs wrote:

>> The arguments that newer faster dental films produce inferior

>> images  are based on the same sort of reasoning as the LNT

>> hypothesis.  Conversely, several well-conducted studies have

>> compared performance  of D-speed films (the standard since the

>> 1950s) with E-speed, for a  variety of diagnostic tasks.  All

>> show no significant differences.  F-speed film is new; studies

>> are under way but not finished.  The  costs of all three film

>> types are comparable and in most cases  identical.  Thus there

>> is nothing to lose from use of faster films,.  . .

> Thanks for posting this information. You added an essential

> element to this discussion - facts about the film and the quality

> of the images. What you posted is what I have heard from dentists

> - the image quality is not degraded by the faster films.

> May I ask if you are aware of any locality that has a regulatory

> mandate for the use of these faster films and their rationale?

>   Paul lavely <lavelyp@uclink4.berkeley.edu>

> --

S. Julian Gibbs, DDS, PhD               Voice: 615-322-1477

Professor, Emeritus

Dept. of Radiology & Radiological Sciences

Vanderbilt University Medical Center     Home: 615-356-3615

209 Oxford House        Email:s.julian.gibbs@vanderbilt.edu

Nashville TN 37232-4245     or alias:j.gibbs@vanderbilt.edu