BERT, DARI, etc.

Perhaps it is somewhat perilous to generalize, but apparently the vast

majority of the public is: [1] technologically ignorant, [2] innumerate, and

[3]radiophobic. The radiophobia is not irrational in any way.  Since the

public is incapable of technically evaluating information, the widespread

fear of radiation is simply a reflection of what the public learns from the

media and from government policies (i.e. if radiation wasn't so dangerous,

why would we need ALARA, cleanup levels to a small fraction of bkgd. level,

etc.)

Given this situation, does anyone really believe that gimmicks such as BERT,

& DARI, would be effective in giving the public a reasonable perspective on

radiation effects. I wouldn't be optimistic. The abandonment of LNT, ALARA,

and similar nonsense by regulatory agencies would be much more effective.