RE: Threshold

A threshold is an important concept.  But if you say, "All radiation is

harmful but we can only protect you above this threshold, because otherwise

it gets expensive," that understandably scares people and leads to

bottomless ALARA.  That's BRC (Beyond Regulatory Concern), and it can never

be a satisfactory basis for radiation protection, following decades of LNT

scare talk.

But if you say, "Below this level, radiation is not harmful and is usually

beneficial," that makes all the difference.  Then any uncertainties or

differences in responses below the threshold are only of academic interest

and need not affect regulations or protective procedures.

Will the public buy it?  Not until we tell them clearly and consistently

that this is what the facts are.  Will public acceptance quickly follow such

a clarification of the facts by the responsible officials?  Probably not

very rapidly, but there is no other honorable course.

Ted Rockwell