Re: California

 From: BLHamrick@AOL.COM

> In a message dated 04/18/2002 4:44:04 PM Pacific Daylight Time,

> csmarcus@ucla.edu writes:

>> I thought of that, but if NRC takes the license back then the 25 mrem

>> standard is law, and the rest of these garbage laws are moot because NRC

>> preempts it all.  Davis can't risk that, can he?  Barbara Hamrick the

> He risks it anyway.  If any of these laws pass, NRC could theoretically find

> us incompatible and withdraw from the "agreement."  If that were to happen,

> the department would have no authority to regulate these materials.  If the

> State insisted we try, private industry could sue, on the basis that the

> federal authority pre-empts the state authority in this area.  There is case

> law on this, and the courts tend to find that when Congress gave the power to

> the AEC (now NRC) to regulate byproduct, source, and SNM, they actually meant

> it.

> Glad to see you're back Carol.  The whole world has gone bonkers in your

> absence.

> Barbara

Barbara,

They'd like to hear that in MD!  :-)

Unfortunately "this isn't your father's AEC" :-)  Appeal to NRC about

extreme and destructive/punitive regs there get: "The state can be more

conservative, but not less."

Regards, Jim

And, Carol, the world was bonkers before you left. But you knew that! :-)

It's just a lot less fun in your absence :-)