Re: Fw: ABCNEWS.com: Hundreds of Radioactive Devices Missing

I'm going on memory here...about the Gioania incident.

As I recall, there was a container of Cs-137 powder

(which I believe is blue) left in an abandoned

warehouse.

Some children playing nearby found the container and

opened it (it was not an accidental "spill").  They

thought the powder looked neat and played games of

"paint my face, I'll paint yours."

They got the stuff all over their hands, face, mouth,

etc...you name it.

As I understood, after several of the children who

played with the Cs got sick, health officials tracked

it down.

I believe half the town was "contaminated."  Some of

the children did later die from the exposure.

I think it was a "little" more than 3.5 oz.  Luckily,

we keep tighter conrols over our radioactive sources

than they did in Brazil.

Tim

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/wnt/DailyNews/nuclear_material020410.html

http://taxes.yahoo.com/