The Goiana accident is not as Tim describes. Many were to blame.

>Tim wrote "I'm going on memory here...about the Gioania incident.

>As I recall, there was a container of Cs-137 powder (which I believe

>is blue) left in an abandoned warehouse. Some children playing

>nearby found the container and

>opened it (it was not an accidental "spill").  They thought the

>powder looked neat and played games of "paint my face, I'll paint

>yours."They got the stuff all over their hands, face,

>mouth,etc...you name it. As I understood, after several of the

>children who

played with the Cs got sick, health officials tracked it down. I

believe half the town was "contaminated."  Some of the children did

later die from the exposure."

Very little of the above is correct but one or more children did eat

the Cs-137 and four people died from over exposure to radiation. .

Here is a bried summary of the facts.

A radiotherapy group in Goiania had a Cs-137 irradiator which was not

useful for therapy. They stopped using it and left it an unused room

and forgot about it. It is not clear that they had a physicist with

them.  They did not reply to requests from the Brazilian authorities

to report on the status of the source every three years. The

authorities did not investigate the situation.

	The building containing the Cs source was partially

demolished so that anyone could enter it. A junk dealer discovered

the Cs irradiator but it was too heavy to remove but it was easy to

remove the bolts holding the source- which was still very heavy but

moveable. They  took it to their shop.  They figured the lead would

be worth something. I believe the source was sold to another junk

dealer who in attempting to dismantle it ruptured the source. In the

dim light of the shop, the very radioactive source glowed and was

lovely to behold. People rubbed it on their skin and at least one

child ate some of it.

	The family  of  the junk dealer began to get radiation

sickness. The mother put the remainder of the source in a sack and

took it to a doctor saying this stuff is killing my family. The

doctor (who was a veterinarian) called the fire dept. to dispose of

it.  Someone  connected with the episode happened to know a medical

physicist visiting in Goiania, whom they contacted. He borrowed a

radiation meter (probably a GM counter) and when he turned it on it

appeared to be defective (jammed?). He went back to get a functioning

meter and turned it on well before he approached the location and

found very high readings.

	He convinced the fireman not to dump the sack in the river as

they planned but to vacate people from the vicinity and the vicinity

of the junk shop where it was ruptured.  He must have been

convincing. Within a short time the radiation authorities were on the

job and the story made the world news.   People from Goiania were

shunned as contaminated. They couldn't get a hotel room in other

cities!

	There is an IAEA report and also a book written by a newsman

which is where I learned that the "doctor" was a veterinarian, rather

than an MD. The IAEA report only refers to the person as a doctor.

	The most knowledgeable person about the Goiania accident is

Jose' Rozental, (joseroze@netvision.net.il ) who is now retired and

lives in Israel.  He was in charge of the cleanup.  He has much

information including PowerPoint files with photos.  Four people died

from the accident. A sad but trivial accident in any large country. A

drunk driver kills more nearly every day! Brazil spent much money on

the clean up.  The money is needed much more to educate Brazilians.

	In September 1996 in Costa Rica 15 cancer patients died from

over doses from a Co-60 mis-calibrated source.  The guilty person

(i.e., the oncologist who hired an incompetent person to do his

physics) left the country I believe.  Accidents will happen.

	On the other hand about 1,000 people a day die in the U.S. as

a result of smoking cigarettes and nobody much cares about it. Some

would rather worry about the risks of transporting radioactive waste!

Best wishes, John

--

John R. Cameron (jrcamero@facstaff.wisc.edu)

2678 SW 14th Dr. Gainesville, FL 32608