Re: [Know_Nukes] Re: FLYOVER SHOWS INDIAN POINT'S A SITTING DUCK

>From: "jsong123" <jsong123@yahoo.com>

>--- In Know_Nukes@y..., "kemps89" <kemps89@y...> wrote:

> > I am really getting sick and tired of this sort of crap being

>passed

> > off as reporting.

>Then you won't like this:

>4/19/02: SEN. HILLARY RODHAM CLINTON IS ASKING THE NRC AND FAA HOW a

>plane was able to fly over Indian Point without any interference for

>approximately 20 minutes. According to a statement from Clinton (D-

>N.Y.), there was no attempt to stop or inquire about the flight,

>which was carrying a Fox News reporter. In an April 18 letter to NRC

>Chairman Richard Meserve, Clinton requested "an explanation from you

>regarding [the April 18] incident, the potential threat posed by

>small planes to the plant--including safety systems and spent fuel

>facilities outside of the containment structures--and proposals on

>how these threats can be minimized." In a similar letter yesterday to

>Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Administrator Jane Garvey,

>Clinton requested an explanation of "how this particular plane was

>able to fly so close to the reactor--for so long--without

>interference, and what the FAA is doing to ensure other planes in the

>area cannot present a threat to the reactor and the people of New

>York." In both letters, Clinton asked for responses "no later than

>April 25."

Write Clinton at http://clinton.senate.gov/email_form.html

Dear Senator Clinton,

I continue to see press reports indicative that you and a few other

congresspersons are very concerned about the safety of our nation's nuclear

power plants.  I am concerned that you may have been misinformed about the

ability of these hardened structures to withstand hypothetical terrorist

attacks.

Regardless of the probabilities of such an event occurring after 9-11, the

containment structures that protect the reactors which provide a significant

portion of New York's and the nation's electricity are some of the strongest

structures on earth.

While these fortresses may not have "been designed" to withstand acts of

war, that does not mean that they would not.  The thick reinforced conrete

walls would likely fair much better than the steel and glass WTC towers that

did not immediately collapse upon impact (rest in peace).

There are many other potential targets such as chemical plants, water

supplies, pipelines, dams, stadiums, liquified natural gas tankers, etc.

that are much more vulnerable.

Focusing on nuclear power plants is misguided and does harm to the citizens

of New York and the US that benefit from relatively clean, safe,

sustainable, and cost-competitive nuclear energy.

[My complete name, title, and address]

--

Hold the door for the stranger behind you.  When the driver a

half-car-length in front of you signals to get over, slow down.  Smile and

say "hi" to the folks you pass on the sidewalk.  Give blood.  Volunteer.

http://www.hotmail.com