Re: Article: "Fatal crash on likely nuclear waste route"

Hi All, I've taken the liberty of sending the letter below to the editor

of the Reno newspaper. I hope I've not done violence to the data on cask

testing, but have the impression from Ruth W's discussions on this that

I've not exaggerated. Ruth, if I have, then please straighten me out. I

hope some of thr rest of you might drop them a line. Jaro, I got a real

boot out of your bird remark - that's why I stole it - I hope with your

blessing. Their web site provides easy means for letters to the editor

via email, fax, or mail at URL:

http://www.rgj.com/helpdesk/news/letter_to_editor.php

Cheers,

Maury Siskel         maury@webtexas.com

Dear Editor;

Re: I noticed your news item: Fatal Crash on Likely Nuclear Waste Route,

dated 4-18. You could

easily reassure readers that no known road or rail crash involving

planes, trains, or other

vehicle can rupture the shipping casks used to transport expended fuel

to Yucca Mt. Casks

survive actual collision and fire tests with all such collisions. If a

cask were struck by a

meteor, one might be concerned, but probably not about a ruptured cask.

I hope you will not

treat us to a news report of every flat tire, speeding violation, or

bird droppings on truck

windshields on I-95 for fear it might presage a nuclear disaster. It

won't. They've all

actually been tried with real casks.

Sincerely,

Maury Siskel