Why do we believe?

I was just sitting here pondering how we might be able to better communicate information about radiation and nuclear technology to the public.  An interesting thought came to mind, and I would like to hear your thoughts on the topic.

Specifically, why do YOU ‘believe’ in the benefits of nuclear power/technology?  How did you end up in the radiation safety profession?  More to the point, who/what influenced your decision/belief?  Was it the media, a special interest group, the government?  Or was it someone close to you -  a neighbor, friend, relative, teacher, etc.?

Heather J. Gepford, Ph.D., CHP
Assistant Professor of Nuclear Engineering
University of Missouri - Rolla
226 Fulton Hall
Rolla, MO 65409

Email:   gepfordh@umr.edu