Re: Fission Bomb Geometries

Hmmmmm....

     This is from:   jpreisig@aol.com    .

     Hello Radsafers,

           Thanks to Dave Neil and David W. Lee for their clarifications

about the Louis

      Slotin Accident Description.  They vary considerably from what I had

      read a long time ago.  These more official versions are clearly

factual.

           As for Robert D. Gallagher, thanks for the flame message.  Yes,

      I should have spelled Americium correctly.  I apologize.

      I am who I claim to be.  Research my subject??? --- Maybe You should!!!

      The Americium (Am-241) in smoke detectors, if it indeed emits alpha

      particles, can be combined with Be to produce neutrons.  The reaction

      is an (alpha, neutron) reaction.  Sure, it would be a stretch to

collect

      enough Americium this way, but Terrorists have time on their hands and

      are motivated.

      Ahh yes, my Rad Health Handbook shows that Am-241 does emit

     alpha particles.  AmBe sources emit neutrons, as most of us already

     know.

      I didn't spell too well last evening.  But AmBe sources do produce

neutrons!!!

                                               J.R. Preisig, BA, MS, MA, PhD

     P.S. DUH!!!!